Focal Point (2) Profile: Liverpool band, the first act signed to The Beatles' Apple Records in 1967. Sites: marmalade-skies.co.uk, thestrangebrew.co.uk. Members: Dave Rhodes (3), Dave Slater (2), Paul Tennant, Tim Wells (3) Variations: Viewing All. Delivering a concert rock experience that will take you thru the best of the 70’s 80’ 90’s to hits of today. Focal Point features 5 talented musician’s with.
Ryan Clark in June 2008
|Birth name||Ryan Clark|
|Also known as||Maven|
|Born||June 23, 1979 (age 41)|
Woody, California, United States
Ryan Clark (born June 23, 1979) is an American graphic designer and musician who also has performed under the stage name Maven. He is best known as the lead vocalist of the Christian metal band, Demon Hunter, which he co-founded with his brother, guitarist Don Clark. He is featured on Zao's The Lesser Lights of Heaven DVD and Mark Salomon's Podcast, Never Was.
Before Demon Hunter, Clark was a former guitarist of the short-lived, Sacramento/Elk Grove, California based, hardcore punk band Focal Point. Focal Point started in 1995 with the lineup of Clark, Robbie Imrisek (Vocals), Danny Dinh (Guitar), Kyle Brown (Bass), and Robert Torres (Drums). The band released a 7' via Life Sentence Records titled Neglected and a Studio album via Tooth and Nail Records.
Clark, then known as Maven, was the second vocalist for Training for Utopia. Don formed the band with the Rob Dennler (vocals), Steve Saxby (bass) and Morley Boyer (drums). Dennler left the band in 1996 and Clark joined the band. The band released an EP, a Split EP, and two studio albums.
He and his brother formed Demon Hunter in 2000 and released their debut album late the following year through Solid State Records. The group would continue to steadily gain exposure throughout the 2000s.
His grandfather, an artist, helped inspire his grandsons' work in graphic design, which is their true day job. Ryan and Don founded Seattle-based Asterik Studio with their friend Demetre Arges in 2000. The design studio has created CD packaging, poster art, web design, and/or merchandise design for hundreds of artists including Liz Phair, P.O.D., and The White Stripes; however, Clark also notes that he is not a fine artist and that such work is typically outsourced. Based on their design experience, Don and Ryan authored a chapter in the book New Masters of Photoshop, Volume 2 (ISBN1590593154). In 2007, the brothers had announced that they were leaving Asterik to start Invisible Creature. Ryan Clark is also art director of Solid State Records and its parent Tooth & Nail Records.
He has twice been nominated for a Grammy Award for his design work on Norma Jean'sO God, the Aftermath and Fair's album The Best Worst-Case Scenario.
He currently is working on three side projects. One such project is with former Project 86 guitarist Randy Torres called NYVES. using funding through Kickstarter. In an interview with Billy Power, Matt Johnson(formerly of Blenderhead, The Out Circuit), said that He, Ryan, Don, and Johnson's brother-in-law, Nathan Burke(formerly of Frodus, The Out Circuit) and at one point, Sean Ingram(Coalesce) formed another project which was titled, Deathbed Atheist. The final project is a band with Jason Martin and originally Steven Dail who later quit, of Starflyer 59 called Low & Behold which released their debut album, Uppers in 2015 via Northern Records.
- Demon Hunter – vocals (2000–present), guitar (2000–2002)
- Low & Behold – vocals (2010–present)
- NYVES – vocals (2014–present)
- Deathbed Atheist - guitar (2000–present)
- Focal Point – guitar (1995–1997)
- Training for Utopia – vocals (1996–2000)
Focal Point Band Chicago
- Neglected EP (1996)
- Suffering of the Masses (1996)
Focal Point Band
Training for Utopia
- The Falling Cycle EP (1997)
- Plastic Soul Impalement (1998)
- Training for Utopia / Zao (1998 w/ Zao)
- Throwing a Wrench into the American Music Machine (1999)
- Technical Difficulties (2004)
- Demon Hunter (2002)
- Summer of Darkness (2004)
- The Triptych (2005)
- Storm the Gates of Hell (2007)
- The World Is a Thorn (2010)
- True Defiance (2012)
- Extremist (2014)
- Outlive (2017)
- War (2019)
- Peace (2019)
The Focal Point
Low & Behold
- Blood Red (2011)
- Uppers (2015)
- Anxiety (2015)
- Pressure (EP) (2016)
Focal Point 5 Band
- Zao – Training for Utopia / Zao (1998) (guest vocals - 'Skin Like Winter')
Focal Point Concerts
As Ryan Clark
- Kutless – Sea of Faces (2004) (guest vocals - 'Let You In')
- Falling Up – Crashings (2004) (guest vocals - 'Jackson 5')
- Anberlin – Never Take Friendship Personal (2005) (guest vocals - 'Never Take Friendship Personal')
- Becoming the Archetype – Terminate Damnation (2005) (guest vocals - 'Elegy: Deception/Lament/Triumph')
- Advent – Remove The Earth (2008) (guest vocals - 'Hanging the Giants')
- Becoming the Archetype – Dichotomy (2008) (guest vocals - 'Dichotomy (The Tower)')
- Trenches - The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole (2008) (guest vocals - 'Calling')
- Sleeping Giant - Sons of Thunder (2009) (guest vocals - 'Army of the Chosen One')
- Nine Lashes – World We View (2012) (guest vocals - 'Our Darkest Day')
- Impending Doom – Baptized In Filth (2012) (guest vocals - 'My Light Unseen')
- Living Sacrifice – Ghost Thief (2013) (guest vocals - 'Screwtape')
- Monsterns - (2013) (guest vocals - 'Monster Life')
- Shonlock - A Night to Remember (2014) (guest vocals - 'Don't Play')
- Five Finger Death Punch - The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell Volume 1 & 2 Ultimate Collector's Box Set (2014) (guest vocals - 'Weight Beneath My Sin' (alternate version))
- Sleeping Giant - I Am (2018) (guest vocals - 'Fly. Fight. Crow.')
- The Out Circuit - Enter the Ghost (2018) (guest vocals - 'Book of the Void')
- ^ abSalomon, Mark (June 23, 2015). '...a Polymath'. Interviewed by Mark Salomon. Never Was Podcast. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- ^ abc'Artists :: DEMON HUNTER'. MusicMight. January 27, 2009. Archived from the original on October 3, 2012. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- ^Henderson, Alex (October 22, 2002). 'Demon Hunter - Demon Hunter : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards'. AllMusic. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- ^Brian (June 22, 2004). 'Demon Hunter - Summer of Darkness'. Punknews.org. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- ^ abNYVES. 'About'. Facebook. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- ^ abJohnson, Matt. 'Matt Johnson - Part 2'. Urban Achiever Podcast. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- ^Sharpe-Young, Garry (2005). New Wave of American Heavy Metal. Zonda Books Limited. p. 333. ISBN0-9582684-0-1.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- ^Clark, Ryan (June 30, 2015). '...a Beast'. Interviewed by Mark Salomon. Never Was Podcast. Retrieved November 26, 2015.
- ^'Focal Point', Tooth & Nail Records. Retrieved July 19, 2015
- ^Decibel MagazineArchived April 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- ^Asterik Studio
- ^'Asterik Turns Invisible'. HM News Update: Week Ending 1-27. HM. January 27, 2007. Archived from the original on February 12, 2007. Retrieved February 25, 2007.
- ^2007 Grammy Award nominations - Category 86 Best Recording Package
- ^Downey, Ran, J. (December 17, 2014). 'The 15 Best Solo, Side Project And Supergroup Songs Of 2014: NYVES - 'Fall Behind''. Alternative Press. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- ^Sarachik, Justin (November 6, 2014). 'Demon Hunter Vocalist and Former Project 86 Guitarist Form Electric Rock Inspired Duo NYVES'. Breathe Cast. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- ^Hurst, Samantha (November 7, 2014). 'Seattle Musicians Launch Kickstarter Campaign For New Electronic Music Collaboration; Raises $25,000 in Two Days'. Crowdfund Insider. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- ^'Timeline Photos - Living Sacrifice - Facebook'. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- ^'Demon Hunter - Timeline Photos - Facebook'. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- ^Tooth & Nail. 'The Monsterns' Single 'Monster Life' Now on iTunes!'. Tooth & Nail Records. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- ^'Demon Hunter's Ryan Clark Guests On New Song From Christian Hip Hop Artist Shonlock'. Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- ^'Demon Hunter's Ryan Clark To Guest On New Five Finger Death Punch Song'. Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- ^'Five Finger Death Punch's The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell Volume 1 & 2 Ultimate Collector's Box Set'.
- ^'The Out Circuit unveils new song 'Book of the Void' featuring Demon Hunter's Ryan Clark'. Retrieved May 1, 2019.